My Grandma


Grandma

I have spent the majority of the last several days thinking what I would write in this post and how I would want to describe you.  

Grandma, you loved us well.  All of us.  You knew everyone.  You cared for everyone.  

You always had a story to tell.  Growing up Wes and I would laugh when we had a voicemail on our phone because every time it would say the same thing.  Hello, it's Ma.  I don't need anything.  I'm just checking in.  You would write us cards and you would love when we sent you cards.  

I remember how you would make us volcanoes in our oatmeal or cream of wheat.  You would put the butter and sugar in our bowl first followed by the hot cereal.  As the butter would melt, it would volcano through the cereal.  I thought that was the coolest thing in the world, especially when it was served with cinnamon toast. 

You were concerned about our posture when we walked and you wanted to make sure we didn't have our elbows on the table.  You taught us how to arrange a table.  Details like that mattered to you.  You made every meal feel special.

Grandma, I have thought long and hard about the one word I would use to describe you.  I think the word that sums you up best is family.  Family can be defined many different ways to many different people but when I think of family I think of you.  Ultimately family is about making clear that a certain group of people is important to you.  That's what you do.  You treasure your family and you make certain that they know that they are important to you.  Your parents, your siblings, your spouse, your children, your grandchildren, your great-grandchilren, your aunts, your uncles, your nieces, your nephews, your cousins, and your friends all know that they are important to you.  They all know that in times of need, in times of trouble, in times of joy and sorrow they can come to you.  Thank you for demonstrating family and making sure we all know the importance of family.

 Grandma, you are loved.  You will be missed but know that your legacy will be remembered and treasured.

All my love Grandma.  Emmy.





Comments

Popular Posts