My Story

Our church recently encouraged us to share our testimonies.  The majority of the ones that I heard growing up were so encouraging.  I would hear stories about people who had overcome terrible life circumstances.  Those testimonies were a reminder that no one had done things so bad that they could not experience the forgiveness of a God who loved them.  The hard part for me was that my story was not like that.  I was a goody two shoes who didn't want to disappoint anyone.  I didn't want to share my story because it sounded boring next to someone who had been saved out of a life of crime or drugs.  

The truth is that is just wrong.  The fact that God created me, loved me and wanted to have a relationship with me is a miracle.  My sin is just as bad as anyone else.  My sin put a innocent man on a cross to die for me and to die for everyone else.  

Romans 3:21–26
[21] But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—[22] the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: [23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [24] and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, [25] whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. [26] It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (ESV)

Twenty-five years ago my life changed forever.  I placed my faith in Jesus Christ and my life has never been the same.  

I grew up going to church and I'm pretty sure I was there anytime the doors were open.  I always liked to be at church and wanted to do what was right.  One Sunday morning in July I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.  I don't think I knew entirely what I was doing, but I did know that I was a sinner who needed a Savior.  I did my best to learn more about Jesus and the Bible but my spiritual growth was minimal.  

Middle school was pivotal for me.  We had a new youth pastor who started at our church when I was entering middle school.  He helped me to understand what it meant to be a disciple of Christ and how important it was for me to grow as a disciple.  I finally had the courage to make a public profession of Christ and be baptized.  I tell people that I had an irrational fear of baptism because our pastor at the time would take a long time to baptize people.  It's possible I was afraid of drowning.  

My middle and high school years were formative for me in my personal growth.  I wanted to be with my faith family as often as I could.  During my junior year I felt a call to ministry.  I had no idea what that meant.  My only knowledge of women in ministry was a pastors wife or Beth Moore.  I knew that was not what the Lord had planned for me but I was unsure of what His plan was.  I was terrified and that was primarily because I hated speaking in front of people.  I had struggled with a speech impediment my entire life and didn't know how that would impact my life and ministry.  

I went to Oklahoma Baptist University to get a degree in Christian Ministry.  While at OBU, I was able to serve in women's ministry and student ministry.  I served at so many Disciple Now weekends that I think my friends thought it was my part-time job.  I loved that I was able to invest in young women.  I finally felt like I had found my place to serve.  I learned that ministry for me was not being on a stage talking, it was investing in the people around me.  I hope and pray that my love for people never goes away.  The fact that the Lord has allowed me to have a small part in the lives of others is not lost on me.  

I'm so thankful that I have a story to tell.  The Lord saved a little 7 year old girl and has been with her every step of the way.   There have been tough days and there have been wonderful days.  All I know is that it has been worth it.  We are living in weird days, and for me, the knowledge that there is a God who is in control provides peace.  I'm grateful.  




Comments

Popular Posts