Team Cape Town


220 days or 7 months, 8 days.

I find myself sitting in my apartment and my mind is consumed by thoughts of South Africa! I am so excited about going to Cape Town next summer with some of the greatest people I know. Back in August, I was asked to pray about this opportunity and I can honestly say that I have never looked back. I have spent many hours researching South Africa, more specifically researching Cape Town. It is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world. This past summer, South Africa was host to one of the most influential sporting events in the world, The Fifa World Cup. I love watching the World Cup, so I have no shame in admitting that I did spend many hours this past summer watching and was incredibly sad when the USA went home. I'm sorry Landon Donavan and Clint Dempsey. However, when I go to South Africa there will not be screaming fans everywhere and sadly I will not here vuvuzela's at all hours of the day.

This will be my second major trip outside of US borders and I will have to say that my mindset is completely different. Last time I was fearful of what it looked like to leave the country, sleep with the sound of monkey's in the background, having no idea what I was eating, and lots of fuzzy caterpillars and mice in my room. This time my fears are quite different. My fears are more consumed with the idea of going to Africa. We spend a lot of our time thinking about Africa thinking how sad their lives must be and yes much of Africa is in great despair. However, I do not believe for a minute that it is my job to go to Africa with a Western mentality of how great I am and poor Africa. I want to go to Africa and love people. Yes, Cape Town is one of the most Western cities in Africa and that their needs might be different. I still believe that the people there still want to experience love and they still need to see the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I ask you to pray for Team Cape Town! I ask you to pray for great things and that the Gospel would go forward.

Comments

Popular Posts