My Love-Hate Relationship with Chick Flicks

All week long I have been listening to my A Walk to Remember soundtrack. I have to admit it is one of my favorites, it has probably been the one CD that has stayed in both of my cars since I started driving over 6 years ago. I love it, the book, and the movie. Kayla and I decided to watch the movie tonight as an ending to our Fall Break. Prior to starting the movie, I warned her that when it comes to sappy chick flicks I tend to cry 110% of the time. It is a fact. I can have seen the same movie at least 100 times and I still cry. Just watch movies like You've Got Mail, Pride and Prejudice, The Notebook, or really most sappy chick flicks. The sad part is that I knew which part I would cry at and then warned her again.

The good thing is that for most of the movie I simply smile. This happens for many reasons. One being that sweet moments just make me smile or blush in the case of this movie. Two, the first date scene in this movie is beyond precious and three, I think Shane West is absolutely wonderful in this movie. There, I said it, I'm a hopeless romantic at times and I really hate to admit that. I sat there for nearly two hours thinking guys are not really like this and even if they are for one date that it could not possibly last beyond that. Guys like Joe Fox, Mr. Darcy, Landon Carter, and any other "knight in shining armor" have to simply be a fairytale.

In all honesty, my favorite part of the movie does not even involve Jamie Sullivan. My favorite part of this movie and the part that brings tears to my eyes faster then any other scene involves Landon and his Dad. Once Landon learns that his Dad has paid for Jamie to have home health care and then goes to his house to say thank you is by far the most moving scene in the movie. The embrace between a father and son and the way in which their relationship begins to be restored is more beautiful then any first date scene to me.

Quote from the movie by Landon: "Jamie saved my life. She taught me everything. About life, hope and the long journey ahead. I'll always miss her. But our love is like the wind. I can't see it, but I can feel it."

I by no means plan to quit watching chick flicks in the near future, but I do hope that I do not look to them as a way to think about my relationships in the future. I have no plan to follow the example set forth in them. I want to look at love through the lens of Scripture.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
1 Corinthians 13: 4-7


Comments

Popular Posts