Remember

This day is brings back so many memories and thoughts.  It is hard to put in words the emotions that September 11th brings.  The reality is for everyone those emotions look very different yet very similar at the same time.  

I not only think of the tragedies of the 9/11 attacks in 2001 but I also think of my Uncle Jim who lost his battle with cancer on September 11, 1998.  I think of my Pa James who was born on September 11th and died just a few days before his 80th birthday.

I was in 8th grade when I heard about the attacks that were happening.  I remember vividly that gas was $0.99/gallon and that it has not been that low since anywhere I have lived.  I believe my love of history increased tremendously on that day.  I became very aware of the implications of what this day would mean for the generations to come.  Our world would never be the same. I believe it is so important to remember each year.  For many of us this day has shaped how we view the world around us. 

I woke up today finding it hard to believe that the events of that day took place 14 years ago.  It seems like it was just yesterday and at the same time it seems like it was an eternity ago.  I find it hard to believe that so many of our middle school students in our small group were not even alive yet and if they were they were babies.  For them they do not know a world any different than a post 9/11 world.  For most of us that day will be in our minds and hearts so clearly for the rest of our lives. 

If you have time to read a fascinating account of the events of that day, look at the Twitter feed of Ari Fleischer from today.  His details of that day have been a chilling reminder of that day.

Let us never forget.  Let us remember this day.  Let us continue to support those who lost loved ones and let us thank those who continue to protect our country. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts