New Year, New Ministry


Our student ministry at church is having their Disciple Now weekend in just a few weeks.  I have seen so many posts and reminders about registration.  I am sad because this is going to be one of the few years that I am not a small group leader or a student participating.  I was telling Greg last night that I went to my very first D-Now in 1999.  You heard me, 1999.  Since 1999, there have only been two years that I was not a small group leader or a student at D-Now.  The year Greg and I got married we did not participate.  I mean we were getting married the next weekend and we thought it might be too much.  The next year during D-Now we were in Arkansas celebrating my Mom turning 50.  

I am reminded that this is an entirely new season for me.  I love being a part of student ministry.  I am a firm believer that those middle school and high school years are such a pivotal time in the lives of students.  Greg and I began helping in student ministry as small group leaders at the Creek just a few months after getting married.  There have been many moments when I have questioned us in student ministry but those moments have been few.   Those times have been the enemy getting in my head telling us that what we do doesn't matter.  He is such a liar.  There are times when we can easily get frustrated or times when we want to throw in the towel.  However, there are those times when you get a text from a student and you quickly realize that it's worth it.  It is all worth it.  

D-Now weekends are that for me.  They are reminders that it is worth it.  Every year I'm humbled and amazed that I have the opportunity to take part in the lives of some of the greatest students I have ever known.  I know that we have the greatest student ministry at The Creek and I love being able to have a front row seat as I watch these students learn and grow.  I watch them think about tough issues and I watch them engage their schools and communities in ways that leave me speechless.  I am so proud of them.  They challenge me on a daily basis.

This D-Now weekend is going to look a little different.  This year, my small group is myself and Carson.  I am sad that I won't be able to share this weekend with my sweet middle school girls but I look forward to hearing from them after the weekend.  I know that although I will miss being a part of this weekend in the way in which I'm used to, that I will be doing exactly what the Lord has called me to do.  Greg and I are still involved in student ministry, it just is beginning to look different.  Having a 4 month old has changed things for us.  We are not able to do things the way that we could have in years past.  I know that this is a new season.  It is one that I'm trying to figure out each day.  This is my new ministry and although it is different and scary, I love it.  I love that I can still be involved in D-Now weekend, because I do believe in D-Now weekends.  It is just going to look a little different for me this year. 

Comments

Popular Posts