Bring on the Mexican Food

Let's be real here.  I LOVE Mexican food.  I can eat chips and salsa every day.  I want enchiladas on a weekly basis and can make a meal out of queso.  When I lived in Arkansas, I would go to Abuelos sometimes with friends and I always liked getting the Papas Con Chile with my Chicken Enchiladas.  I searched and searched for a way to recreate them for a long time and found a copycat recipe a while back and they are quite tasty.  

Shopping List:
3 lbs of red potatoes
3 oz of cream cheese, cut into small squares
1/2 cup of heavy cream
10 oz of Velveeta cheese cut into small squares
1/2 tbsp of salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup of diced green bell peppers
2 cans chopped green chiles
1/2 cup of chopped green onions
2 tbsp of finely chopped jalapeno (seeds removed)

Wash and scrub those potatoes.  Place in a large pot covered with water and boil until the potatoes are soft.  Drain the potatoes and add all of your ingredients to the pot.  I typically add the cream cheese and Velveeta first to help it melt a little faster.   You do not have to bake the potatoes, but I do sometimes for a little bit.  

If you want a smoother potato texture, you can puree your peppers, chiles, green onions and jalapenos so they have a similar consistency.  I think Abuelos adds a couple kinds of cheese to their potatoes.  I'm sure you could take out the Velveeta and use a Mexican blend shredded cheese.  

The best part of cooking is there is freedom to improvise and make the recipes a little more how you prefer it. 

Comments

Popular Posts