Cream of Confession


In case you do not know I am a southern girl.  Translation is that many of the recipes I grew up eating had cream of .... soup in them.  Cream of chicken or cream of mushroom were the two most often used at our house.  Sometimes you would find a cream of celery soup in our house.

I know what you are going to say and you are right.  They are probably not the best choices for our diets.  So many of the recipes that I love and consider some great comfort food include those bad for me soups.

Enter Pinterest.  Pinterest has made my life easier and more difficult over the last few years.  A few months ago I searched for homemade cream of ... soup.  Low and behold I found hundreds of pins.  

The last few times I have made some sort of casserole, I have made my own cream of ... soup.  I am not a big mushroom fan so I do not make a cream of mushroom soup.  Most of the time I stir in some sauteed onion to mine to give the soup a little onion flavor and then add it to my casserole.  

This route takes a little more time and a little more effort than popping the top off of your handy Campbells can but so far I like knowing that I have a little more control over what I'm feeding my family.

Have any of you made your own cream of .... soup?  It's quite easy.  I guarantee you have all of the ingredients already in your pantry.  My favorite part is it is so easy to customize based on what you are adding it to.  Happy cooking everyone. 

Comments

Popular Posts