Church of the Small Things


Hey friends, Happy Thursday!  Today is a little different but I've been thinking through this post for weeks.  

A few months ago I was selected to be a part of the launch team for the latest book my Melanie Shankle, Church of the Small Things.  I've done some launch teams for Bible Studies with Lifeway but never a book.  I was super excited and if you have read anything from Melanie Shankle, you would be excited too.  Her books are some of my favorites.

I've thought a lot about how I wanted to write this post.  Would I give a summary?  Would I highlight a theme? Or would I do something different?  I opted for the last option.  

There were numerous spots in this book that I had tears in my eyes.  Often those tears came from laughter but there were other places when I felt as if I was on the verge of weeping.  

I think what I loved most about this book was just the reminders of things I already know.  I find myself relating to Melanie's writings at all stages of life.  As a single woman, I related.  As a young married woman, I related.  Now as a young Mom, I relate.  Her books resonate with me and I find myself saying YES often as I read her books.

One of the pages that made me laugh was when Melanie talks about a scene from FRIENDS.  We all know that I'm a sucker for a good FRIENDS reference and apparently I am not the only one.  Melanie talks about the episode with Phoebe and PBS.  I realized early on in this book that Melanie and I can be friends because she knows that there is ALWAYS a time for a good FRIENDS reference.  If you can't trust someone who thinks that, then you may as well stop reading here.  

I was reading this book during the anniversary of losing my Grandma.  Melanie talked a lot about legacy and what that means.  I think for me, that was the part in the book that I just couldn't get over.  I loved it and I needed it.  Here is a little excerpt for you.  

"I've always thought I would love to have one more day with them to ask about their hopes, their dreams, their heartbreaks and disappointments, but I think what I've realized as I've grown older is they probably didn't think much about those things.  Life for the most part, just was what it was...good and bad.  They lived their lives with a faithfulness and commitment to the small, important things we tend to overlook in the quest to do something grand with our lives, somehow missing the fact that the small things are ultimately the biggest things."

I read and reread this section many times.  I loved it.  I don't want to get caught up in trying to have that moment, to have that memory, I just want to live life the best I know how.  

I hope this book encourages you, I hope it makes you laugh, I hope it challenges you.  Most of all, I hope you read it.  

You can still preorder the book and if you preorder before October 3rd there are some pretty great bonuses



Comments

Popular Posts