He Who Calls Is Faithful


A little while ago I started studying Exodus in my personal Bible Study.  It has been so good for me to study this book so far.  There is so much to learn in this book.  I think for many of us when we think Exodus we only think about Moses and when we think about Moses we think about the Ten Commandments, the plagues and the parting of the Red Sea.

For many of us, we think Moses and we picture this.
Or if you grew up in the 90s you think this

I don't think that either one of those is the way I want to think about Exodus.

I want to think about Exodus and think about the One who promised is faithful.  The One who called Abram in Genesis is the One who is working in Exodus.

I've been slowly working through the text and I'm just in chapter 2 but what I have loved so far is looking back to passages in Genesis to see the faithfulness of God.  All throughout the book of Genesis you see God promise to Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, to Isaac, to Jacob and to Joseph that if they are fruitful and multiply that they will be a great nation.  They will have offspring like the dust, it will be everywhere. Then you open Exodus and what do you see?  God has already multiplied them greatly.  So much so that the Egyptians are worried that they will rise up against them.

God is already proving he is faithful to his promises.  Then what, we meet a woman.  Her name is Jochebed and she has a son and she is fearful.  She knows that she can't keep her son because he will die so she places in him in a basket and puts him in the Nile.  Many of us have probably thought why in the world would she do such a thing?  What Mother would leave her little baby in the river?  I tried to think to myself if I would do that with my child?  And then I read Genesis 21:15-16.  Hagar is debating doing something similar.  Why, because both of these women can't bear to watch their son die.  But in both stories, we see a God who loves and we see a God who is there with us.  For Hagar, we see God tell her that He will make her son into a great nation.  God was with her son.  For Jochebed, we see that God allows her to be the Hebrew woman that Pharaoh's Daughter has to nurse Moses.

I love seeing the constant reminders that not only is my God faithful but He sees us.  He knows who we are and He knows what we need.  He loves us and is so compassionate towards us.

I have had this song on repeat lately as I'm studying through Exodus.


Comments

Popular Posts