Who Needs Hibachi?

Growing up I used to love to go to Shogun!  I can put away some fried rice like a champ.  I used to always get the chicken or steak.  When I moved to Raleigh, Kanki became the winner.  Shogun is not out in the Raleigh area.  

One of my favorite parts of the Hibachi experience is the sauces.  I'm a ginger and teriyaki person all the way, no white sauce for me.  I'm sorry, but it is just not for me.  Greg loves it.  The ginger salad dressing is always delicious too.  If you want a good store bought version of it, here you go.  Shogun always used the teriyaki sauce on their chicken and the ginger is fantastic on the steak.   For years I have tried to make the two sauces at home.  I have tried the ginger and have not got it yet but I finally found the teriyaki recipe and it is wonderful.  Add it to some chicken, shrimp or salmon and you are in for a treat.  

Thank you Pinterest for helping me find this wonderful recipe.  


In a mixing bowl add 1 1/2 cups cold water, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 3 tablespoons of corn starch and mix well.  You want to make sure the corn starch is completely mixed in.  The sauce will have a light color because of the corn starch but once you heat it that will not be the case.  It darkens and looks so good.  Once you have the first ingredients mixed well mix in 1 tsp. of sesame oil.  This will not mix in well when its cold but once you begin to cook the sauce it mixes in.  I've used canola oil too and it works fine.

Pour this lovely mixture into a large skillet and whisk continually over medium high heat.  It usually takes mine about 10 minutes but the sauce will begin to thicken.  You know its ready when you can put a spoon in the sauce and it will coat the spoon and not just roll off.  That is about 10 minutes give or take.  I pour my sauce in a mason jar and it is good in the fridge for about a week.  Enjoy!

Now if I can figure out how to make my ginger sauce I can make hibachi at home 100% and save some serious $$.  It is fun to go out for a date every so often though. 

Comments

Popular Posts